Saturday, February 10, 2024

The man, ‘BahBah Richie’- a sneak peek into his life

By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu

 

April 6th, 1989, dawned with a gentle glow of sunrise and the cheerful sounds of birds singing. It felt like the world was holding its breath, waiting for something special to happen. Nature seemed excited too, with dew sparkling like diamonds and butterflies fluttering gracefully.

In the midst of nature’s jubilation, at Primary Health Care Ikot Akpa Nkuk in Ukanafun, Akwa Ibom State, Naomi Imoh Alexander was giving birth to her first child. Her husband, Imoh Alexander Apkan, paced nervously outside, praying for her safety, a mix of nerves and joy churning in his stomach. Finally, the moment arrived, and their baby was ready to meet the world.

Rushing inside, Akpan’s heart pounded with excitement as he beheld his son swaddled snugly in his wife’s arms. Kneeling beside his wife, who lay overwhelmed with love, he couldn’t help but smile. Relief washed over him as he saw both mother and child safe and sound. He then turned his gaze to the pink bundle, a vision of perfect innocence, no different from the countless newborns he had seen before, now nestled comfortably in a blanket.

‘It’s a boy!’ Akpan declared triumphantly, overjoyed at the gift of a healthy son. They named him Alexander Itemobong Imoh. The news spread like wildfire, bringing waves of happiness to their neighbourhood.

This first child was more than just a baby; he was a symbol of hope, a new beginning brimming with renewed optimism and boundless love. In that beautiful moment, the world seemed to celebrate in unison, welcoming the newest member of the Alexander family with joy echoing from the highest mountains to the vast seas.

Every child is a mystery, a potential waiting to unfold. As time marched on, Alexander Itemobong Imoh blossomed into a man, leaving his indelible mark on the world. His music career soared, and the stage name BahBah Richie became synonymous with his talent, forever etched in the hearts of many.



About BahBah Richie

My birth name is Alexander Itemobong Imoh, but in the world of music, I go by the stage name ‘BAHBAH RICHIE.’ I hail from Ukanafun local government area in Akwa Ibom state, Nigeria. I am a dedicated Afro Singer and a skilled songwriter.

In my musical journey, I prioritise creating good music, adhering to the belief that there’s no value in doing anything that isn’t worthwhile. Being authentic is important to me, both in my personal life and in my interactions with others. I hold deep respect for my family, relatives, friends, loved ones, and fans at all levels.

As an artist committed to being authentic, I strive to stay grounded and focused in the entertainment industry. I aim to represent reality in whatever role I find myself, staying true to my beliefs and principles.

Though I appreciate humour, I don’t find it amusing when truth is misrepresented. Authenticity is key to me.

Before making a name for myself in the music scene, I put in consistent effort, honing my craft since my secondary school days, which ultimately led to the success I enjoy today in my musical career. Previously, my fans knew me by various names like RICHADVICE and RICHIE SLEEM, but ‘BAHBAH RICHIE’ became my identity because it signifies greatness and achievement in the entertainment industry.

Education

I completed my Primary and Secondary School education in my hometown of Ukanafun local government area. Later, I pursued further studies at the Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri in Imo State, where I enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering faculty for my ND program from 2010 to 2012.

During my time at the polytechnic, I encountered wonderful and supportive lecturers, classmates, and friends who made my experience there enjoyable. They quickly realised my passion for music when I would freestyle lyrics, which added a lot of fun to our days. Many of them still stay connected with me today, and I treasure the memories we shared.

Balancing my studies with my musical pursuits was challenging, but I managed to navigate through it. I didn’t see myself as a failure; instead, I persevered and continued to push myself musically. Now, I’ve reached a point where I see promising opportunities ahead, indicated by the green lights shining for me.

Struggles and Wins

Navigating through the challenges of pursuing a career in the entertainment industry in an environment where attitudes towards music differed significantly was a tough nut to crack. Despite facing delays and encountering skepticism from those around me, I remained steadfast in my determination to succeed in what I believed in. Through hard work, focus, and perseverance, I was able to shift the narrative surrounding my musical aspirations positively.

There were times when my family, friends, and acquaintances failed to recognise my potential simply because I chose to pursue music, especially when I declared my intention to pursue it full-time. I often heard negative stereotypes about musicians, with some associating them with addiction to drugs and alcohol. However, I dispelled these doubts when I released my first hit single, ‘Ami Ye Afo’ (Me and You), which was well-received. Today, without boasting, I stand among the A-list artists in my hometown, my state, and the country as a whole.

Musical Dreams and Goals

My musical dreams are to continuously improve my vocal techniques, create and write incredible songs, become an exceptional performer, believe in my potential to achieve fame, develop my own unique look and style, understand my core audience, and produce engaging videos.

Music serves as my inspiration, and performing brings me unparalleled joy. Moving forward, I am committed to staying true to myself, creating quality music, expanding my skills, and offering assistance to individuals and groups who wish to journey along my musical path.

Music Journey

Music truly gives meaning to my life and shapes my identity. Without it, I wouldn’t have achieved many of the things I’m proud of today. I’ve been surrounded by music since I was a baby, with my parents always playing it in our home. However, it was my grandfather, Alexander, who ignited my passion for music by singing native songs from his cultural group, AMA UKPAHA. His joyful singing and drum playing inspired me at a young age, sparking my desire to learn the drums like him.

At the age of seven, my grandmother enrolled me to play drums in church, providing me with my first pair of drumsticks. I instantly fell in love with playing, and thus began my musical journey. As I grew older, I stumbled upon a songbook in my dad’s cupboard, which further fuelled my passion. Though I had little knowledge of songwriting at the time, I began crafting my own songs using lyrics from the songbook.

Combining drumming with singing, I found myself improving in music with each passing day. Despite facing challenges and moments of frustration, I persevered, driven by my unwavering love for music. I discovered the importance of setting both short-term and long-term goals, which helped me stay motivated and focused on achieving my dreams.

Today, I am grateful for my journey and proud to write and sing songs, just like any other accomplished musician.

The journey as a musician is indeed a long one. I am grateful for the opportunities I’ve had so far, and I eagerly anticipate future experiences. While I aspire to achieve my next long-term goal one day, I recognise that it won't be possible without the skills my teachers have instilled in me: consistency, practice, patience, and diligence.

Advice to My Fans

I’m incredibly grateful to all my fans for their unwavering love and support. Their unconditional support has played a significant role in shaping who I am today.

To those pursuing a career in music, my best advice is to prioritise networking and marketing. Building connections and nurturing relationships are crucial in this industry.

As for me, I don’t pay much attention to the negativity surrounding the internet and online connections for promoting music. While online platforms are valuable, I believe genuine connections are forged in person. It’s essential to immerse yourself in environments where there’s a demand for your talents and offerings. Never doubt your potential for success in your area of expertise, as what’s meant to be will come from your efforts and accomplishments.



Looking Ahead

This is just a peek into BahBah Richie’s interesting life. We think his amazing journey will become an exciting book, one you can read in libraries, study in schools, and enjoy at home. Keep an eye out for when that happens, and don't forget to like and share his story with anyone who might be inspired by it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Israeli Strikes in Gaza City Kill 10, Including Children

  Israeli forces conducted airstrikes in Gaza City, targeting the Zeitoun and Sheikh Radwan neighborhoods, resulting in the deaths of 10 P...