Sunday, March 10, 2024

Women thriving in male- dominated fields

 Nneoma Ahukanna and Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu



Showcasing women excelling in male- dominated fields as the world commemorates international women’s day in tribute as a way of acknowledging their contribution to socioeconomic development and progress in the society.

Every 8th of March is marked as international women’s day globally. This year 2024 it was celebrated worldwide with the campaign theme #inspire inclusion, while the official theme of the United Nations UN being ‘invest in women: Accelerate progress’

The world comes together every year to celebrate women's achievements and contribution to societal development and economic growth. Many women are excelling in fields mainly dominated by males.

In  a Press Statement,  Mrs. Aisha K. Bura, National Chairperson of the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ), on 8th March,2024 International Women's Day, opined thus,

‘As we commemorate the 2024 International Women's Day, NAWOJ stands in solidarity with women in Nigeria and across the globe, in celebrating their resilience, achievements, and contributions to society.

This year’s theme, ‘Invest In Women: Accelerate Progress’ resonates deeply with our commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment.

In Nigeria, women continue to play pivotal roles in various sectors, from politics and education to healthcare and entrepreneurship.

However, challenges such as gender-based violence, limited access to education and healthcare, and unequal representation in decision-making positions persist.

NAWOJ calls for concerted efforts to address these issues and create an enabling environment where every woman and girl can thrive.

We urge stakeholders to prioritize gender equality in policies and programs, promote women's participation in leadership roles, and provide resources to support women-owned businesses and initiatives.

On this year's International Women's Day, let us envision a future where gender equality is not just a goal but a reality.

Together, we can empower women, empower humanity, and create a more inclusive and equitable world for all.

Women have always been the epitome of strength and resilience. Happy International Women's Day. #inspire inclusion.’  She concluded.

Statesman Newspaper went around town on a discovery mission to search out women making inroads in fields known to be dominated by men and discovered a number of them in areas like Shoe Making/Mending.

Have you ever met someone who loved their job so much it felt like art? That’s Ujunwa Anthonet! She’s an apprentice shoemaker, and her passion for design and making shoes is truly inspiring. Ujunwa isn’t afraid to break the mould. In a field typically seen as a man’s job, she’s following her dream and showing everyone that women can achieve anything they set their minds to.

Opara Ujunwa Anthonet, an apprentice at Maly Shoes, shared, ‘I’m passionate about shoe mending and making because it’s like creating art. I have a knack for drawing, and designing shoes feels like bringing my sketches to life. It brings me immense joy. My love for design and craftsmanship led me to pursue this path. I'm a naturally creative person.’

‘Since I was five, I’ve dreamt of working in shoe making, and that dream has stayed with me. I chose this field not just because I want to avoid traditionally female-dominated jobs like tailoring and dressmaking, but because I want to stand out. I want to be unique, and shoe making gives me that opportunity. It’s fulfilling.’

She added, ‘Even as an apprentice, I design my own shoes. In the future, I envision opening my own shoe company. I’ll sell leather and materials for shoe making, and of course, I’ll design and sell my own creations.’

‘I graduated from Alvan Ikokwu College of Education with a degree in English Language and Literature, but shoe making brings me so much joy that I want to focus on it.’

‘Despite some discouragement from people who say shoe making is for men, I don’t let that deter me. This is my dream, and I believe women are just as capable as men, if not more so.’

Vitalis Ndubuisi Atumunaonye, CEO of Maly Shoes, remarked, ‘As the CEO, I believe determination is what matters, not gender. In America, women excel in fields like mechanical and electrical engineering. I've personally witnessed a talented female mechanic here in Imo State, which surprised me in a positive way.’

‘I’m proud of women who challenge stereotypes by excelling in traditionally male-dominated fields. That’s why I’m proud to train my apprentice, Opara Ujunwa. She’s making great strides, and I couldn’t be prouder.’

He continued, ‘I encourage women to explore non-traditional skills like shoe making. By diversifying their abilities, they can support themselves and their families. Women’s education now extends beyond domestic roles. They’re breaking barriers and proving their capabilities every day.’

Females are encouraged to follow their dreams  and passion in life irrespective of whether  the field or profession is known as  male- dominated or  not.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Israeli Strikes in Gaza City Kill 10, Including Children

  Israeli forces conducted airstrikes in Gaza City, targeting the Zeitoun and Sheikh Radwan neighborhoods, resulting in the deaths of 10 P...