By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu
I went out that day to buy one
thing. I already knew what I wanted and how much it would cost, so I also knew
how much money I would have left after buying it. I was not planning to buy
anything else because I did not have much money to spend. I only wanted to get
what I needed and go home. I had no idea that I would return with something I
never planned to buy.
When I got to the shop, I went
straight to the seller and told her what I wanted. She brought it out and I
checked it before paying. I was about to bring out my money when I noticed
something on one of the shelves. I looked at it and then looked away. I knew I
did not need it, so I tried to ignore it and pay for what I had come to buy.
But after a few seconds, I looked at it again.
I asked the seller how much it was.
She told me the price, and I started thinking about whether I should buy it. It
was not very expensive, but it was not part of my plan either. I had enough
money for what I came to buy, but if I bought this other thing, I would have
less money left. I knew that, but I still kept looking at it. I started telling
myself that I could buy it because I liked it and the price was not too high.
I picked it up and looked at it
properly. I asked the seller a few questions, and she answered me. I checked it
again and kept thinking about it. The funny thing was that I had entered the
shop knowing exactly what I wanted, but now I was spending more time looking at
something I had never planned to buy. After standing there for some time, I
finally decided to buy it.
I paid for both things, collected my
bag and left the shop. As I walked away, I was happy with what I had bought. I
kept looking at the new thing and telling myself that I would use it. At that
moment, I did not feel that I had made a bad decision. I was simply happy that
I had seen something I liked and bought it.
After walking for a while, I
remembered the money I had left. I brought out my wallet and counted it. I
started thinking about what I had spent and what I still needed to pay for later.
I still had enough to get home, but I had spent money I had not planned to
spend. I looked at the things in my bag and laughed because I knew what had
happened. I had gone to the shop for one thing, seen another thing I liked and
allowed myself to buy it.
When I got home, I took the things
out of the bag and looked at them again. I still liked the thing I had bought,
but I also remembered that I had not needed it. I thought about how easy it was
for me to change my plan. Before entering the shop, I had already decided what
I was going to buy. I had even decided how much money I was going to spend. But
seeing something I liked was enough to make me change my mind.
The next day, I passed the same shop
again. I looked at the shelf and saw that the same item was still there. I
remembered how I had stood in the shop the day before, looking at it and trying
to decide whether to buy it. This time, I did not stop. I did not even go into
the shop. I just looked at it and continued walking.
Since then, I have tried to be more
careful when I go out to buy things. If I see something I like, I first ask
myself if I really need it. If it was not part of my plan and I do not have
extra money, I try to leave it. I do not always succeed, but I now think about
it before spending the money.
I went to that shop that day knowing
exactly what I wanted. I came back with what I needed and something I did not
need. The funny part is that I was the one who made the decision to buy it, and
I was also the one who later wondered why I had bought it in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment